Tag Archives: Foreign Licence Conversion

Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence

Any driver with foreign driving licence may apply for conversion to a Singapore driving licence to drive the equivalent class of motor vehicle, but the particular class of licence cannot be one that was granted automatically without test and on the merit of attaining of another licence, eg a motorcycle licence granted with class 3 licence without going through a test that is practised in some countries.

Singaporeans and Permanent Residents

Singaporeans and Permanent Residents may convert a foreign driving licence that they have obtained overseas while residing in that foreign country over a period of one year or more for valid reasons such as study or work.

New PRs who already have a 5-year Singapore driving licence will have to replace it with a lifetime driving licence that reflects their new NRIC number.


A foreigner above 18 years of age and holding a Work Pass/Dependent Pass/Student Pass may drive in Singapore with a valid class 3, 3A or 2B foreign licence, for a period of not more than 12 months. A Singapore driving licence is required after 12 months. Those on short term social visit may drive with their foreign licence for up to 12 months each time they enter into Singapore . For licence not written in English language, an International Driving Permit or translation is required as explained below.

Please note that Work Pass holders may not drive for work-related purposes unless the occupation stated in the Work Pass is “Driver” or permission has been granted by the Controller of Work Pass. If you do so, your Work Pass may be revoked and you are liable to be prosecuted for an offence under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act.

For more information on Work Pass restrictions, please visit http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en/communities/work_pass.html

Classes of driving licence that may be converted

Foreign licence conversion is only granted for class 2B and class 3 qualified driving licences. Learner driving licence may not be converted.

Those who wish to obtain a class 4 and/or class 5 licence need to go through training and a prescribed practical test before they can obtain the Singapore class 4 or 5 licence. No direct conversion is granted for these heavy vehicle licences.

Conversion for a higher capacity or open category motorcycle licence is normally not granted unless there are documentary proof of training, testing, ownership of bigger motorcycle and insurance policy indicating that you have gone through proper training and testing regime and have had at least one year riding experience on the road.

Conversion procedure

In order to convert your foreign licence to a Singapore driving licence, you are required to pass the Basic Theory Test (BTT). Overseas theory test results are not admissible for consideration.

You may book for a BTT in person at any of the 3 driving schools. On passing the BTT you may then proceed to apply for conversion at the Traffic Police Driving Test Center counters in person, with the relevant documents. The 3 Traffic Police Driving Test Centers are co-located with the 3 driving schools. Their addresses are:

* Ang Mo Kio Driving Test CentreĀ  ( http://www.ssdcl.com.sg/ ) at 3 Ang Mio Kio St 62 Industrial Park 3 Singapore 569139.
* Bukit Batok Driving Test Centre, ( http://www.bbdc.sg ) at 815 Bukit Batok West Ave 5 Singapore 659085.
* Kampong Ubi Test Centre ( http://www.cdc.com.sg/users/homepage/index.asp ) at 205, Ubi Ave 4 Singapore 408805.

Please bring along the following documents where applicable, when applying for conversion of licence:

* Passport and NRIC/Entry Permit/Employment Pass/Dependant Pass/Social Visit Pass/Work Permit
* Valid Qualified Foreign Driving Licence
* Processing fee of $50 (Cash, Cashcard and Nets Only)
* Matt finish passport-size colour photograph with white background, eyes looking straight and both ears and eyebrow visible in the photograph. There should be no headgear worn unless normally worn for religious purpose, and glasses worn should not be tinted.
* For Malaysian licence holders, an extract from JPJ Malaysia showing information of your driving record and licence information
* For Singaporeans studying overseas for one year or more, please produce proof of stay in the country, e.g. educational transcripts or Letter of Acceptance by the educational institution and the relevant student visa in the passport.
* For Singaporeans employed overseas, please produce Income Tax Returns or supporting documents from employers and the relevant employment visa in the passport.

Driving licence not in English language

For a foreign driving licence that is not in English language, you are required to have an International Driving Permit in addition to the foreign driving licence. If an International Driving Permit is not available, an official translation of your driving licence in English is required. You may obtain translation from the relevant Embassy, High Commission, the Singapore Subordinate Court or the Singapore High Court. Translation is not required for licence issued by Brunei , Indonesia and Malaysia .

Foreign Driving licence that expires with the expiry of a foreign visa

If you hold a driving licence that expires with the expiry of a foreign visa, you are required to obtain a written extract from the licence issuing authority of the country that your licence was issued. The extract should show the passing date, date of issue of your licence, the class of licence attained and your driving record.

You have to register for the Basic Theory Test within 3 months from the date you return to Singapore so that your conversion may be granted subsequently.

Additional Documents

Where the authenticity of a driving licence is in question, you may be asked to produce other documents for further verification. Such documents may including extract from the licence issuing authority that issued your licence and endorsed by a notary public.

Drivers of age 65 and above

If you are 65 years old and above, you need to be certified fit to drive by a Singapore registered medical practitioner. The prescribed form for the medical certification can be obtained at all Traffic Police Driving Test Centre counters. Application for conversion has to be accompanied by a favourable medical report that is complete.

If you have an existing medical condition or physical disability that may render you unfit to drive in Singapore under our law, you will be asked to obtain a confirmation of your fitness to drive at any of the hospitals below.

(1) Alexandra Hospital
(2) Changi General Hospital
(3) KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital
(4) National University Hospital
(5) Singapore National Eye Centre

(6) Singapore General Hospital
(7) Tan Tock SengHospital

(8) National Cancer Centre
(9) National Dental Centre

(10) National Heart Centre
(11) National Neuroscience Institute

(12) National Skin Centre
(13) Institute of Mental Health/Woodbridge Hospital

You may be required to undergo further assessment by our driving testers to confirm that you are fit to drive in Singapore .

Displaying of P-plate

You are required to display the P-plate sign on your vehicle if the issue date of your foreign licence is less than 1 year. You may stop displaying it after the 1 year period like new Singapore licence holders.

Drivers Improvement Point System (DIPS)

In the form that you submitted during the application for conversion of your foreign licence, you have affirmed that you have been informed that your licence will be revoked if you accumulate more than 12 demerit points within a 12 months period from the date of issue of your licence.

You will have to sit for all the prescribed driving theory and practical tests one year after the revocation in order to regain a new driving licence.

Source: http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/services/Driving_in_Singapore/Information/drivinglicence/conversion.htm